At the corner of Prince Street and Mott Street in Nolita, our friends at Marvel Architects have converted New York’s oldest parochial school, part of Old St. Patrick’s Cathedral Campus, into modern residential units. The adaptive reuse project saw the creation of seven condos and two townhouses, as well as a multipurpose communal space for the Cathedral Campus. Features of the original Federal-style 1820 building were left intact, while those from subsequent additions and renovations were stripped away. For this project the firm undertook a comprehensive analysis of the building’s history, which allowed them to identify the various expansions undertaken there in the last 200 years and which guided them in their realization of the structure’s latest machination; the original physicality of the school was preserved, namely its H-shaped footprint; its western wing was transformed into a 5-storey, 8,K SqFt townhouse. Original windows were integrated into the renovation’s new rain screen exterior.